More than 75% of South Africans pass away without a valid will in place.
Some consequences of passing away without a valid and up to date will:
1. You forfeit the opportunity to decide who inherits what and your Estate is distributed according to South African intestate succession law.
2. Your partner may be left with nothing if you are not married or your will is not updated after your previous marriage ended.
3. Your children’s inheritance could pass to the Government Guardian’s Fund or the appointed Guardian, rather than to a Trust that will ensure your wishes for your children are carried out.
4. Winding up your estate can take years without a will appointing a professional Executor.
5. Family feuds often occur when family members argue over the distribution of your Estate.
Only 1 in 4 South Africans pass away with a valid will in place
In a recent South African survey people were asked why they do not have their wills in order. The results:
43% said: “I just haven’t got around to it.”
27% said: “I’m not sure where to get my will done.”
21% said: “I think it might be expensive to get a will.”
9% said: “I don’t think I need a will”.
Don’t delay – start 2021 by getting your will in place….today.